Early on in my photographer years, I loved when photographers would share little tips on their blog. I also think it helps prepares clients for what to expect when they come to my studio for a newborn session. So here are a few tips I recommend for a successful newborn session.
- Timing: Scheduling the session for 7-14 days after birth is ideal. This allows for posed, sleepy photos of your newborn. I’ve photographed newborns at 1 month old, but they do tend to be more awake and aware for their session.
- Activity: Have active awake time before the session. It’s really hard to keep a newborn awake for any extended time, but even 20-30 minutes can make a big difference. So I encourage sponge bath, walking around, singing, dressing, changing.
- Food: Good feeding and burping before the session. We all know that having a full tummy helps babies to sleep well. So allowing a good feeding before the session always helps.
- Warmth: I keep my studio nice and warm for the session and this makes the biggest difference. Newborns are use to being in their momma’s tummy and a warm environment is very comforting.
- Sound: I have a Baby Shusher in the studio and that has been wonderful. Sometimes the click of my camera can make baby startle, so that helps to take that away. It’s a very realistic shushing sound that my newborn babies love.
- Swaddled: Yes, I love the 5 S’s and swaddling is one of them. I have a wide selection of wraps in my studio that are available for my clients to use.
With all these together, we create a successful, and adorable newborn session.
Here is a recent newborn session that I’m excited to share!
A proud member of the National Association of Professional Child Photographers
Jessica Lee Photography is a Boulder & Denver Photographer who specializes in maternity, newborn, baby, and family photography in Boulder & Denver Colorado and surrounding areas including Erie, Broomfield, Lafayette, Longmont, Superior, Louisville, Frederick, and Firestone.
If you are you interested in a custom portrait session with Jessica Lee Photography and would like more information, please click here for details about sessions.
Due to the custom nature of my sessions, I limit the number of clients I photograph each month.
I would be honored to partner with you in creating photographs that your family will cherish for many years to come.